Thursday, January 17, 2013

Les Misérables


I am quite sure that by now all of us have seen that amazing new movie Les Miserables. And it was amazing wasn't it? Being raised in the theatre I am quite critical when it comes to movies and musicals and reproductions and what not, but I can say truthfully that this was one of the best films I have ever seen. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about it (which is saying something because I usually can find something to critique in everything). Of course, the producers had it in their favor that they started with probably one of the best pieces of literature in the world, Victor Hugo being absolutely fabulous and a god among writers (even though reading his work, especially in french--which I have done--can be incredibly difficult). And even though not everyone in it had amazing voices, I think that the sincerity in which they sung made up for it and it was more meaningful and beautiful than if they were the best singers in the world. Then of course, the set was beautiful and transported me right to 1835 Paris, I even felt as though I could smell the stench. I was even impressed with how the actors' teeth were stained, because I always get annoyed when people who are supposed to be dyeing of starvation or TB have perfectly straight, white teeth. But above all, being the fashion connoisseur that I am, I loved the costuming. Every character had a costume that summed up their entire being–from the colors to the perfectly placed tares and tatters. This of course got my little brain whirring and I began to think about what they would look like today? What would it look like if here, in the middle of 2013, our dear friends the French revolutionaries turned up and tried to over through the government (again)? This is what I came up with:
Here we have the beautiful Amanda Seyfried as Cosette as photographed by Vogue. She looks perfectly demure and innocent does she not?
Here I have Cosette in a proper, conservative white dress with two stripes on the bottom.

Now we have the stunning and talented Samantha Barks playing poor Éponine. First, can we just look at that waist?! That thing is amazing! 

To serve as a stark contrast to Cosette, I would place Eponine in a very Bohemian harlem pant overall outfit with a red bandeau underneath. Definitely with some fun patches to add a sense of authenticity. 

Finally we have rich boy gone rogue, Marius played the handsome Eddie Redmayne. I do love a good revolutionary. mmmmm

Now I put Marius in a slightly more ruffed up look, like maybe he just came out of the barricade after fighting hand to hand with a king's solider. Her he is wearing an old vest with gold buttons, some nice lblack leather pants, and a torn up dress shirt. And of course his Tri-Coloure pin and cravat. 

Well, I hope you enjoyed my rendition of a small sampling of the Les Mis cast as they would be today. If you would like to see some more Les Mis inspired fashion, go to this pinterest page (it isn't mine, but it sure is cool) les mis fashion
If you liked what you read here, don't be shy to follow me! and follow me on pinterest --> 

And don't you forget mes amis, to love another person is to see the face of God. May the story of Les Miserables be a good reminder to you of the good within this world and that there is always hope for redemption. 

Love you all!
Mae 




No comments:

Post a Comment