Wednesday, January 23, 2013

How About Some Time Travel?


Now is the time for my first post about my recent trip to New York. Yes, I went to New York. The Big Apple. But why did i go, you may ask? Of course for the shopping and museum going and because I simply adore that city, but I also had an alternative motive. During that fantastic week my social agenda was stuffed full with dates at Trend Forecasting Shows (such as Texworld and Print Source). At these shows I learned all about the upcoming styles for spring/summer 2014 (yes, next year!), which I will save for some other time. Today, I would like to share with you what I learned about the styles for the spring/summer of 2013 during the recap section of the shows. Today's highlight is the 60's! Yes boys and girls, the 60's! In the upcoming months expect to see much more of those classic looks seen in the early 1960's (think Madmen). This of course will show itself in a subtle way, we are not actually going to start mimicking Jackie Kennedy or Twiggy, I mean if you want to by all means do, but it will show itself in a 21st century way. Would you like to know how to be "in the know" with this trend? Well follow me my dear friends and I shall show you how

Hair
Let's start at the very beginning. A very good place to start. The head. I would say try to aim for BIG HAIR. Consider using big curlers or soda cans to create a loos curl and then tease the heck out of it. But make sure it remains smooth looking (we don't want a rats nest on top of your head). If you feel more like an up do, consider a french twist. Nothing too crazy, just simple and classic. If you want to be very committed you could always try the beehive.
 everyday 60's hair

the beehive


Images from a 60's Vogue
Makeup
Now for makeup. You'll want to go for big eyes and pale, translucent skin. This means lots and lots of mascara, maybe even some false eyelashes, and highlighting your eyelid crease with the cat eye look. Everything else should be rather pale; pale skin (if you can) and pale lips, nude or light coral lip stick. Top it off with nude or coral nail polish
See how striking her eyes are?
The biggest inspiration for makeup was Elizabeth Taylor as Cleopatra in 1962
Did you know that Elizabeth had two layers of eyelashes due to a rare heart disease?

Clothes
How 'bout we get dressed now. We are going to stay quite conservative and simple from the 50's but with a few changes. This means shirt waist dresses, turtle necks (YAY!), pencil skirts, blouses, and tailored jackets. Stay away from flashy colors and patterns and instead stick with pastels and simple floral patterns. For skirts (pants didn't start to be really worn by women until the later half part of the decade) and jackets try navy, tweed, and dark browns.
WHen in doubt, just go for a pencil skirt and a blouse.
This of course is a picture from Madmen, not actually the 60's

An old McCall's Pattern 
Jackie is always a good role model

Another old pattern
Twiggy is a good inspiration too, though this is from a little later in the decade
Shoes
Once again, the style stayed pretty close to those in the end of the 50's. Try for classic pumps in nudes, pastels, and deep colors or saddle shoes. Remember to always match your purse with your heels!


Saddle Shoes, I wish I had these…

THese are actually from Polyvore, but I thought they looked appropriate

How Cute!
Jewelry
Just think Breakfast at Tiffany's. Pearls and simple diamonds.
Definitely top it off with a cat, that certainly makes for a classic look

Are you all ready now to go out looking like you jumped right out of the early 1960's, I sure hope you are! If you are interested in learning more, please get inspiration from Twiggy, Sharon Tate, Pattie Boyd, Jackie Kennedy, Audrey Hepburn, Marilyn Monroe and Elizabeth Taylor.

I will leave you now with this darling picture of Twiggy
isn't she adorable?

"Grand Central Station, and step on it, darling"

tata for now!







No comments:

Post a Comment