Saturday, September 7, 2013

An Unexpected Adventure

You know that story where the wizard invites the little hairy man to go on an adventure with some other little hairy men and all this unexpected stuff happens and it's really dangerous and there are dragons and goblins and gold? Well my day was EXACTLY like that, only vastly different.
I woke up this morning with absolutely no plans for the day. Being the first Saturday of the semester I had no homework waiting patiently on my desk nor did I have plans to spend the day making up for lost sleep. I had no expectations for the day. I did not expect in the slightest that I would be going on an adventure. However, as is often the case with adventures, a totally unexpected journey lay in store for me. I left my dorm and headed towards the piers to check out a gluten free bakery I had heard about residing in the Ferry Building. After sitting on the dock drinking my iced coffee and eating the first pastry I have been able to enjoy in over six months (the first unexpected surprise of the day), I headed off along the shores checking out the piers. I have always been a mountain girl. That is something that happens when you are born and raised in Colorado. But walking along the piers on this lovely, oddly sunny day in San Francisco, I fell in love with the ocean (the second unexpected surprise). The twinkling water, peaceful movement, and deep blue color was so beautiful and inviting, I don't know how I could never have loved it before. Then, around pier 29 I saw a lot of people all crowded around looking out into the water. There were two sail boats very speedily flying across the water. A huge cheer rang out from the crowd. I had no idea what was happening so I just walked on. As I walked further I saw more crowds of people, many flags, tents, a lot of boats, and a stadium looking thing. Unbeknownst to me, I had stumbled upon the 34th America's Cup. For those of you who, like me, know little about sailing, America's Cup is a giant race between two sailing yachts. Apparently it is a very big deal and people come from all over the world to watch, and I just happened to find myself right in the middle of it. This year it is America vs. New Zealand and today, the first day of the cup, the "Kiwis" won both races.
So, I spent the rest of the afternoon watching the races, exploring the piers, and thoroughly enjoying myself. This is a whole world to which I am completely new, and every sight, sound, smell was exciting.
Here we can see the two yachts in the background racing. Meanwhile there are some very lazy sea lions out tanning.

While walking around I found this beautiful boat/ship/yacht, I don't know the correct terminology, I just think it is pretty.
Obviously whoever owned this beautiful vessel supported the kiwis, and as they won twice today, I think I will too.

There was a huge crowd of people watching the race on a large screen. Well, some were watching, some were tanning.
 This experience was so fun for me. I was accidentally thrown into something I have never seen before and discovered that I really want to learn more about it. I would love to learn how to sail. Do we have any volunteers to teach me?

While walking and watching I thought about what I would have worn if I had known that I was going to do this today–as clothes are constantly in the forefront of my mind and, as we all know, I am a great believer in dressing for the occasion. So, if I happen to attend another sail race, or find a rich husband who owns a sailing yacht, I may wear something like this:
Melissa Odabash Jemima White Wide-Brimmed Sunhat, 
Riverside Stroll Dress from Modcloth, Steve Madden Wedges, and Betsey Johnson jewelry

I guess what I would like to leave you all with tonight is this: never pass up an opportunity for an adventure, for you never know where it may take you. If I had not gone to check out an unknown gluten free bakery, I never would have discovered my love of the ocean and sailing...and wide brimmed sunhats (I could have avoided a bad sunburn)

xoxo
Justice



2 comments:

  1. I love this. reading it me cry a little, but they were tears of joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahhhh Sierra (said with w's instead of r's) I miss you so much girly

      Delete